Les Alouettes is now proud to be able to offer stylish, charming, well-appointed accommodation, Fairbanks Self Catering cottage, next door to its existing B&B in a beautiful new property just recently finished in 2015.
Hardecourt aux Bois was a front-line Somme village, captured by the Germans in 1914, and re-taken by French troops at the start of the Somme battle in 1916, only to be retaken by the Germans in their Spring offensive in 1918. It was finally liberated in late summer by British troops, by which time it had been totally destroyed. It was adopted by Windsor to help with its re-building and the Royal Family’s doctor, William Fairbank, gave a fruit tree to every villager – very probably the very walnut tree which now stands in the garden.
Features of the Gite
- It has an open-plan design with full length windows all around the property giving the house lovely views over the Somme countryside. Being a corner plot with no through traffic gives Fairbanks charm, tranquillity and privacy.
- Upstairs there are two bedrooms one with a double brushed nickel bed and a single bed and one twin bedroom. Downstairs can sleep two guests in a double sofa-bed.
- Satellite TV with UK channels plus DVD player.
- Internet WIFI free of charge.
- Wood pellet burning stove and electric heaters.
- Two beautiful, light bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs with a shower, wash-hand basin, toilet, electric towel rail and hairdryer.
- Downstairs incorporates a beautiful lounge and a reading area, dining room, and a fully-fitted kitchen with a halogen hob, oven and extractor fan, a refrigerator with a small freezer compartment, a washing machine, a toaster, and a kettle.
- Stone and wooden floors.
- Iron and ironing board.
- Cotton bed linen is provided but bath towels can be hired if required.
- Off the road private parking.
- No smoking in the house.
After a full day on the battlefields or visiting the Great War museums, come home to the beautiful and welcoming Fairbanks. The kitchen and lounge have two sets of double doors which open out on to a patio area in the private garden to the rear of the house – the perfect spot for eating from the BBQ in the warm weather, with views across the Somme valley. We have a wood pellet burning stove for those cold, wet or sombre days.
There is also an opportunity prior to your visit to organise with us a Breakfast basket filled with local produce. Please ask for details.
It is the perfect location for the battlefields which major sites easily accessible on either by foot, cycle or car, depending on your preference.
Proud owners, Vic and Diane will be on hand as ever to offer any advice should it be needed about the area and its history. Our Great War library of over 3,000 books will be available for guests who might be in aid of research information. We also run guided tours in all areas of the WW1 battlefields.
Additional guests to a maximum of 6, the tariff is £180 per night.
There is a small additional charge of 3% per person per night (over the age of 18) for the Taxe de Sejour (Tourist Tax). Towels can also be hired for a small charge.
Minimum stay is two nights.